The 2021 National Conference & Exhibition Planning Group has opened a revised proposal process for the 2021 National Conference taking place October 8-12, 2021. The 2021 National Conference & Exhibition will be planned as a robust virtual experience with a live component in Philadelphia, as appropriate. As the meeting approaches, the AAP will evaluate the feasibility of convening in-person, with an eye toward the health and safety of our members, staff, and communities. The below submission information represents a hybrid planning model, with a strong focus on activities that can either be held in-person within social distancing guidelines or virtual.
New or revised general session proposals and section/council program requests will be accepted through Wednesday, February 17 at 11:59 PM CST.
General Session Proposals
Proposing a General Session & Session Selection
General sessions are targeted for general pediatricians or pediatric providers and cover any clinical or non-clinical pediatric content areas. The National Conference Planning Group is responsible for reviewing sessions and selecting, inviting, and confirming faculty. More information on the planning group can be found here.
Please note, invitations to faculty members should not be extended during the proposal process as it is likely that proposed faculty will not be the final selection.
Session proposals must include the following:
- Proposal Type
- Author Name and Contact Information
- Session Proposal Primary Topic
- Session Description
- Learning Objectives
- Professional Practice Gap and Data Describing Need
- Physician Competencies
- Teaching Methods
- AAP Sponsorship (Committee, Council, Section or Other)
- Suggested Faculty (Optional)
Revised General Session Types
Session types have been updated to represent planning for a hybrid program that includes a robust virtual component. Session types that are either not compatible with virtual education or difficult to offer within social distancing guidelines have been removed for 2021 only. In addition, one new session type has been added for on-demand sessions. General sessions that were previously submitted will be considered as long as they are in an active session type.
If you have previously submitted a proposal under a session type that is no longer being offered, the submission will need to be withdrawn or revised to align with an active session type by February 17, 2021.
|General Session Types|
Question-Based Didactic Session
Short Format Didactic Session
Long Format Didactic Session
|On-Demand||Interactive Group Forum||Workshop|
|Duration||60-90 min||30-45 min||60-90 min||Up to 45 min||Not offered in 2021||Not offered in 2021|
|CME Credit||1-1.5 hours||0.5-0.75 hour||1-1.5 hours||Up to 0.75 hour|
Suggesting General Session Faculty
Faculty suggestions are not required for a session proposal. However, should you consider including faculty in your proposals, they should embody:
- Knowledge: discuss the most recent advances in pediatrics; content that is accurate and substantiated by research; addresses questions effectively during question-and-answer sessions
- Clinical Relevance: provide information that attendees can apply in their practice settings
- Dynamics: provide enthusiastic, engaging presentation; has clear and effective delivery skills
- Leadership: facilitate discussion and interaction as appropriate;
- Organization: produce and effectively utilize handouts and audio-visual materials that are of high quality (orderly, legible, easy to follow); and
- Cooperation: adhere to deadlines and submit handouts and other requested material in a timely manner.
The following should not be considered as faculty: AAP officer/board member; national committee member; section/council program chair; section/council executive committee member*
*Pending approval by the relevant NCEPG member given on a case-by-case basis, section/council executive committee members may be permitted to serve as faculty provided they are proposed as faculty by someone other than themselves and are the expert on the topic. This is part of an effort to ensure the most qualified faculty member is selected and that new faculty are also being considered. Approval from the Committee on CME (COCME) may also be required.
Section/Council Programs & Courses
Section/council programs are highly focused topics of interest to section or council members and/or general pediatric health care providers, which require and assume that the attendee has knowledge and interest in the content area. These programs are planned and implemented by section or council program chairs, in conjunction with the National Conference Planning Group and staff to meet the varied needs of section/council members.
Given the current uncertainty in logistical planning of the 2021 National Conference, the planning group will be collecting basic information from each section/council wishing to participate this year. In order to understand your program needs in a variety of scenarios, section/council staff must complete a request form by February 17, 2021.
- This form will be in lieu of previously submitted proposals.
- Program chairs will NOT need to update or submit program requests through the submission site.
- Section or councils that choose to reduce/decline participation in the 2021 National Conference will not be precluded in the future.
- Section/council staff will be provided a list of previous entries into the proposal system to use as a reference.
- The request form must be submitted by section/council staff via email@example.com by February 17, 2021.
- This form will help the planning group and National Conference staff in determining options for section/council programming for 2021.
Following the National Conference Planning Group meeting in March, further details will be provided on guidelines and next steps. Until more details are distributed, please hold on inviting faculty, updating agendas, or making specific plans for the 2021 National Conference.
2021 Proposal Process Timeline
|Date||General Session Proposal||Section/Council Programming|
Wednesday, February 17, 2021
Session Proposal Deadline
Request form due date
|Early March 2021||
National Conference Planning Group session selection and review
|Monday, March 15, 2021||
Plenary Proposal & Keynote Idea site opens
|Late March||General Session Proposal Acceptance/Rejection||
Section/council request approval, date/time and further instructions and guidelines distributed; Collect section/council abstract program needs for submission site launch
|April-May||Planning group faculty invitations||
Section/council agenda development and faculty invitations*
|Monday, May 3, 2021||
Plenary Proposal & Keynote Idea submission deadline
Abstract submission opens for 2021 National Conference
|Monday, May 24, 2021||
Section/council Program and Course Final Faculty Confirmations, Descriptions, Agendas and Need Assessments due
|Sunday, June 13, 2021||
Deadline for abstract submission to 2021 National Conference
*Please note, further details will be distributed on developing agendas and inviting faculty for section/council programming at the 2021 National Conference in late March. Sections and councils should not invite faculty or finalize agendas until this time.
Further details on faculty dates, additional section/council deadlines and more will be available upon approval.
Proposal Development Resources
The following resources may help you in developing proposals:
- Effectively writing learning objectives: Writing Learning Objectives
- Education Resources/Info: AAP Committee on CME Website
- AAP News and Journals: https://www.aappublications.org/
- AAP Federal Advocacy: https://www.aap.org/federaladvocacy
- AAP State Advocacy: https://www.aap.org/stateadvocacy
- Maintenance of Certification Information: https://www.aap.org/mocinfo
AAP Policies and Guidelines
Please review the following policies before developing a proposal: